Last week I had my last appointment with the insulin allergy department in Amsterdam. Because of some minor snowfall all transport in the Netherlands is de-railed and as it had snowed the day before we took off bright and early. It was the first time that I was actually happy to be going to the hospital; I could simply not wait to tell them how well everything was going!

We were there an hour early so we went down to the café to have a drink. My mother had a cup of coffee and I chose a delicious raspberry-peach juice. It was a long time since I had had a juice because I felt like it, rather than required it due to a hypo. Only at special occasions would I dare to drink juice as my insulin usually couldn’t keep up with all the fast sugars. It was an odd realization that I actually had to give myself insulin for it!

The appointment with the doctor went smoothly. They were very happy for me that the treatment had worked so well and asked if I wanted to donate some blood for research. As a scientist myself I never deny a chance to help science and gave up seven vials. They did tell me to be very careful when getting a fever, allergic reactions to other things or by using immunosuppressants there was a big chance the insulin allergy would return. There would always be a chance of it returning, but at least now I know the signals and I know that this treatments helps me.

At the café I had casually glanced through the menu as a way to kill time and saw that they offered all their sandwiches on glutenfree bread. The appointment was done at 11.15 a.m. which was still slightly early for lunch but I am always curious to try anything glutenfree which is offered. I did want to know what kind of bread it was as my last experience with glutenfree food at this hospital wasn’t all too good (read it here). They said they only had sandwiches… the images of the dry bread I received during my treatment came back to me. But they reassured my very quickly that they baked this bread themselves. Alright, let’s try it! As my mother and I walked away we couldn’t resist the urge to check out what they had made of my tuna sandwich and it looked delicious. The natural thing which followed was to try a piece. I gave my mother a piece, took one myself, we ate it and then looked at each other and immediately turned around and went back to the cashier. The poor lady almost had a heart attack, she thought something was wrong as we had returned so quickly. With four more sandwiches packed in separate bags we went home. The sandwich was so incredibly good that I do not have any pictures anymore… sorry folks!

The irony of this story is that during my three day treatment there was barely any decent glutenfree food available for me whereas the opposite building had this delicious self-baked bread. At least I enjoyed it now!